From March 1st to March 5th, 2013, TOBY Playpad will be on sale for the terrific price of $23.99. That’s a discount of 75% from its usual price of $94.99. If you decide to buy it then please use my link to the App Store as Apple will pay me a commission at no extra cost to you.
TOBY stands for Therapy Outcomes By You as its an app specifically designed to teach parents of autistic children to help their kids learn basic skills that will assist them in every day life. It’s a unique app and one that in my opinion is worth its full price. Its perfect for use with non-verbal children who need support developing skills like imitation, comprehension, sorting and matching. If you’re unsure whether this app will benefit your child here are some easy steps that will help you determine that:
- Go through the suitability questionnaire on the TOBY Playpad website. It’s quick and easy and will give you concrete examples of the situations in which TOBY can be beneficial.
- Download TOBY Playpad Lite. It’s free and it will give you a good idea of how the app works.
- Read Amy’s review of the app at Special Apps, Special Kids. She is an SLPA who works in education and has a child on the spectrum.
Let me also share some of the reasons why I love this app and why I recommend it even at its full price of $94.99:
- It’s not focused on children of a certain age, it’s tailored to assist individuals who are at a certain developmental stage. I know parents who have used this with their pre-teen children with great success.
- I find with my sons that the iPad is not only motivating in and of itself, they will often do things on the iPad that they are otherwise reluctant to try. This gives them the confidence they need to then generalize the skill off-iPad.
- The app is focused on helping parents assist their kids in a real-life, home environment. Don’t expect to just give the app to your kid – this is a program that you and your child will work on together and you will both be learning. You will discover things about your child (like what they find motivating and how they learn) which you can then use in other contexts.
- The app is easy to use – it will take you through each stage step by step and it gives you specific instructions on what to do and when (like when and how to try prompting).
- The TOBY program is tailored to the needs of your child – the app collects data and the program adjusts depending on how your child is doing.
- Even at full price it’s cheaper than an hour of therapy.
For parents who are home schooling their children, on wait-lists for autism support services or who feel that their children’s school and/or therapy experiences are either inadequate or aren’t generalizing skills to ‘real life’ at home – this app is a very worthwhile investment.
Don’t just take my word for it, here’s what a friend of mine said about the app – she uses it with her 11 year-old autistic son with Down syndrome:
“I was fortunate to win [a copy of] this app… and all I can say is… get it while you can for $25. It is great for those who need very structured learning. As a parent, I love the detailed instructions and ideas to use off the iPad. We have incorporated a few of them into my son’s daily routine (matching and mating socks, sorting toys etc). Save those pennies and get it while it’s on sale, you won’t regret it.”