Handmade soft toys that also encourage play-based learning about natural science.
All my toys are 100% handmade, right here in Hamilton, Ontario. Crochet is a process that cannot be mechanized, so each stitch is made by hand and every toy takes, on average, 4-6 hours to make.
These are quality toys: with a couple of exceptions, only natural materials are utilized, not synthetics. I use 100% merino wool for both the toys and the carrying case, to ensure they are soft to touch and comforting to hold.
The toys come with their own stories, designed to encourage development of story telling skills, and every story is presented in its own handmade story booklet.
You can purchase the Backyard Buddies play set by itself if you just want the toys, or you can purchase just the supporting materials. If you would like both the toys and the supporting materials then purchase them as a bundle and save!
The play set consists of:
- The Sun
- Blossom the queen bee
- Clover the baby bee
- Breeze the butterfly
- Laverne the lavender plant (in unscented or scented version)
- a hexagon shaped play mat which can also be used as a carry case.
- Copies of the handmade story booklets for the three SBKM stories “The Three Butterfly Buddies”, “Clover the Curious Wee Bee” and "When the Sun Wouldn't Set"
The supporting materials consist of 40 pages of material designed to support play based learning:
- PDF photo illustrated copies of the stories, "The Three Butterfly Buddies", "Clover the Curious Wee Bee" and "When the Sun Wouldn't Set". I can also email you epub versions of these stories.
- Suggested reading - a list of books that can be used to provide supplemental learning or encourage further discussion about the themes covered by the play set.
- Ideas for incorporating learning about bees, butterflies, flowers and pollinators into play
- Craft ideas that tie in with the stories and the themes within them.
Available now to download FREE!
Nature journaling for kids
This free handout is a 10 page PDF which includes:
- resources for parents or gift givers including websites, books, videos and articles
- recommendations for books to read with children of all ages to encourage them to spend time and play outside as well as observe, learn from and feel more connected to nature (especially in urban environments).