I designed this scarf for beginner crocheters because they get to:
- make small squares - this gives beginners lots of repetition and practice without it taking so long to complete a square that they get bored
- use a hook that is the perfect size (5mm) together with high quality yarn that's the right weight and made from forgiving fibre (assuming they follow my recommendations)
- practice over and over the basic techniques they need to master, like working into a foundation chain, but the foundation chains are small enough that practice isn't (hopefully) frustrating
- master foundational stitches like single and double crochet and get to experience both working in rows and working in the round
- learn how to edge and block their squares as well as join them and finish their scarf
You can read more about why I designed this pattern in a blog post I wrote here.
The pattern is comprehensive, includes lots of tips and tricks as well as both written and charted patterns for a number of different squares:
- regular single crochet
- Moss (or linen or granite) stitch
- single-colour granny square
- multi-colour granny square
- Lemon peel stitch
- Bean stitch
And intermediate crocheters can also make:
- A long Wave square
- Catherine's Wheel stitch square
Detailed instructions are included for edging, blocking and joining your squares, together with options for finishing as either an infinity or regular scarf.
U.S. terminology is used throughout.
To complete this project you’ll need:
- 3 skeins of DK or light worsted weight yarn in 3 different colours (see Yarn, below for recommendations)
- Size H (5.0mm) crochet hook
- Locking stitch markers
- Yarn needle
- T-pins and blocking surface, or a blocking board
For my regular scarf I used Cascade 220 Superwash Merino yarn and for my Infinity scarf I used Estelle Alpaca Merino DK. If you are vegan or allergic to animal fibres, then I recommend a premium acrylic yarn like Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling or Lion Brand Heartland.
Where possible, any links to online stores included in this pattern or its listing result in my earning a small commission on any purchases you make, at no extra cost to you. If you would like any additional information on this, please email me.